Most popular terpenes: Medicinal potential and how they make you feel
Here we will discuss 6 of the most common terpenes. These are: B-Caryophyllene, Limonene, Linalool, Myrcene, Pinene and Humulene. We will learn what they do, how they make you feel and which strains contain these terpenes.
B-Caryophyllene: Sweet, woody, clove taste responsible for anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective effects through CB2 receptor activation.
- Potential medicinal value: Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic (pain), GI relief, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Antitumor.
- Potential effects: stress relief.
- Strain: GSC, Headband, Lime OG, SFV OG, Sour Diesel, Sunset Sherbert, TANGIE
Limonene: Has a citrus scent and may possess anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-depression abilities.
- Potential medicinal value: Antidepressant, Antianxiety, Antitumor, Antibacterial, Bronchodilator, Suppresses GERD.
- Potential effect: elevate your mood and stress relief.
- Strains: Super Lemon Haze, Blueberry Kush, GSC, Gorilla Glue, Harcore OG, TANGIE
Linalool: Floral smell (found in Lavender) that is believed to provide some anti-cancer effects as well as being known to cause severe sedation.
- Potential medicinal value: Antianxiety, Analgesic (pain), Anticonvulsant, Sedating, Relaxing and Anticancer.
- Potential effects: anxiety relief and sedation.
- Strains: Blueberry Kush, Harcore OG, HEADBAND, Lime OG, Zittles
Myrcene: Most likely effects intake of THC by brain cells to increase the overall effects of THC when ingested together.
- Potential medicinal value: Sedating, Muscle relaxant, Analgesic (pain), Antioxidant, Anticancer, Anti-inflammatory, Antidepressant, Antibacterial.
- Potential effects: likely to generate a “couch like” sedation, relaxation and a body high.
- Strains: ACDC, Blue Dream, Grandaddy Purple, GRAPE APE, Strawberry Cough
Pinenes: Pine odor, bronchodilators that opens the lungs to possibly improve THC absorption.
- Potential medicinal value: Anti-inflammatory, Bronchodilator, Memory enhancement.
- Potential effects: increasing focus/alertness, self-satisfaction/euphoria, creativity, memory retention and energy.
- Strains: ACDC, BLUE DREAM, Grape Ape, Pineapple Express, Jack Herer, Train Wreck
Humulene: Naturally occurs in clove, basil, hops, and cannabis sativa. It carries a subtle earthy, woody aroma with spicy herbal notes you might recognize in some of your favorite strains (GSC, Headband, Gorilla Glu, Sour Diesel). Though cannabis is commonly associated with appetite stimulation, humulene is actually known to suppress hunger.
- Potential medicinal value: Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, anticancer, antibacterial, suppresses appetite, pharmacokinetic.
- Strains: GSC (Girl Scout Cookie), Headband, Jack herer, Lime OG, SFV OG, Gorilla Glue, Sour Diesel, ZITTLES